HARBOUR CITY CENTRE

PROJECT TYPE: HERITAGE

USE: COMMERCIAL OFFICE AND RETAIL

LOCATION: LAMBTON QUAY

CLIENT: KIRKCALDIE AND STAINS LTD

ARCHITECTS: PYNENBURG AND COLLINS

PROJECT TIMEFRAME: 2011-2012

Remembered by many Wellingtonians as the old DIC building, the Harbour City Centre is a registered Category ll heritage landmark. The six-storey steel and concrete frame building was constructed in 1928, well before earthquake performance codes existed.

The two-year project was one of the first seismic upgrades LT McGuinness undertook while a building was occupied. The strengthening brought it to 100 percent of the current code in terms of collapse prevention.

Complex staging of the work to minimise disruption to the tenants involved frequent night work. At times it was a virtual 24-hour-a-day operation. During construction the ground floor was divided into three sections so that Lambton Quay retailers could continue operating while work went on behind acoustic wall panels.

On the floors above, LT McGuinness was invited to complete fit-outs for tenants including Contact Energy and Lumino Dentists.