Builder Lawrence Thomas (Laurie) McGuinness established LT McGuinness Ltd in 1950. His small firm later passed on to his sons Jim, Peter and Brian. The tradition continues with seven third-generation family members now at LT McGuinness. Five other inter-generational families also work within the firm.
Today we are one of New Zealand’s largest privately-owned construction companies with a talented and dedicated staff of around 300 in Wellington and Auckland. LT McGuinness operates like a family but has the resources of a major company. Here are some landmarks in our 70-year history:
Laurie McGuinness builds a house at 20 Trelissick Crescent in Ngaio (left in the photo), his first recorded job. He then built the house on the right.
Laurie McGuinness joins together these two old buildings in Tui Street, Te Aro, to set up his joinery workshop. Later he moves one street up to Francis Place.